As people are becoming more health conscious, traditional ways of farming are being patronized by farmers as well as big corporations in order to meet the consumers’ demands. This calls for farming practices that does not involve genetically enhanced crops and livestock, chemical fertilizers and pesticides. Indeed, the organic food industry is experiencing a growth compared to its genetically modified counterparts.
So, what’s the big deal with the organic food industry? Some people say that it is no better than crops grown with artificial fertilizers and livestock feed with enriched ingredients. But what people need to know is that the organic food industry offers them with the safest and cheapest agricultural produce that will benefit every one’s health.
The organic food industry is also regulated by the governments of the countries where they operate. They have to comply with the standards of the government because each country has their own parameters of when to consider food as “organic”.
Here are some reasons why the industry should be recognized as the excellent provider of organic foods that are naturally grown.
• The organic industry does not use chemical fertilizers. Chemical fertilizers pose a threat to people who eat plants treated with it. People can also ingest the harmful toxins in chemical fertilizers by eating crops which are artificially “fattened” by these fertilizers. Chemical fertilizers also exhaust the soil, draining its valuable nutrients. Instead, they use natural fertilizers such as animal manure and urea and decomposed plants. Such fertilizers are safe, and plants grown with natural fertilizers have more nutrients.
• As much as possible, the organic farmers avoid the use of pesticides. Pesticides can also be ingested by eating the crop sprayed with it. It can literally poison someone little by little.
• Mostly they let their animals graze the fields and pastures and eat grass instead of artificial feeds which are made of animal by-products. Livestock who eat their natural diet are healthier (and more nutritious). You can be also sure that they are free from harmful viruses and diseases like foot and mouth disease and mad cow disease. These animals are also free from growth hormones which alter their genes.
• Unlike processed meat, meat produced by the organic companies is free from additives, artificial coloring and extenders.
Here are some other benefits from the this growing industry.
• It promotes healthy diet and healthy living
• It helps maintain the balance in the ecosystem
• It uses soil in a way that its nutrients wouldn’t be bleached out
• Organic farms also uses less energy and produces less waste, meaning it is energy efficient and cleaner than conventional farming
• It promotes concern for the environment
This industry could be considered as one of the fastest growing industries nowadays. It can really help us attain a cleaner and greener environment and it also motivates us to eat healthy foods. What’s not to like about the organic food industry?
I hope you enjoyed this quick overview of the rapidly growing organic food industry. Keep in mind this is only a small bit of the information available and there are tons of conflicting opinions on organics. Considering myself and avid Health Nut, these are just some of my opinions on the industry and what I’ve learned over the years.