A basal body thermometer is an invaluable tool to have in case you are trying to have a baby. It measures your basal or resting temperature which is supposed to increase after you ovulate. This helps you identify your fertile periods with a great degree of accuracy so that you can increase your chances of conceiving a baby. This thermometer is different from a regular thermometer because it provides a very accurate reading with very slight variations. There are quite a few of these thermometers available in the market these days which makes it quite difficult to choose the right one. The following tips will help you select the best basal body thermometer:
1. Choose a thermometer that gives very accurate readings. You cannot afford to have any mistakes when it comes to measuring your temperature since this is necessary to predict your fertile period. A digital thermometer is generally very useful because it provides readings that enable you to detect very slight variations (upto 1/100th of a degree).
2. It should work quickly. A thermometer that gives results with a minute is naturally preferable to one that takes 2 or 3 minutes to give a reading.
3. It should give its readings in Fahrenheit or Celsius, depending on what measure you are comfortable with. Using a measure you are unfamiliar with can lead to mistakes.
4. Look for useful features such as large screen, preferably backlit, and memory recall. A beeper is another useful feature without which you will have to keep an eye on your watch. Since you are expected to measure your temperature fairly early in the morning, these features will come in use. Memory recall is especially convenient since it enables you to go back to sleep after taking your temperature without even having to switch on the lights in your bedroom.
5. Check its affordability. It is always preferable to buy an affordable basal body thermometer as long as it comes with the features that you want. Keep in mind that glass thermometers are less convenient to use in most regards but they are quite affordable.
As you can see, there are quite a few features to be considered when selecting a basal body thermometer. Make sure that you study the pros and cons of each thermometer you come across before you select any particular one. This will enable you to keep a close watch on your ovulation and hopefully help you get pregnant soon.